Sri Lanka has opened its borders to kitesurfing tourists during Corona pandemic. So we are happy to welcome you in the near future!
The issue of not being able to travel during the Corona pandemic is frustrating for many of us Sri Lanka kitesurfing tourists. Personally, I prefer to travel in cold January/February to get some summer feeling in sunny Sri Lanka. After the holiday, spring slowly starts and that’s how I overcome the long cold winter months every year. Especially kitesurfing tourists and windsurfers are well served by the wind in Kalpitiya during this time. But the Corona pandemic has put a barrier in front of us that seemed insurmountable at first.
Since the beginning of 2021, Sri Lanka has reopened its borders to Sri Lanka kitesurfing tourists and is trying to make travelling possible again under the best possible conditions. In order to comply with the hygiene regulations, the government has inspected the best Sri Lanka hotels and assessed them according to hygiene measures. The staff must be trained and instructed accordingly, as well as the hygiene measures in the general hotel operation.
Kalpitiya lives from kitesurfing, outdoor sports are allowed in principle and are currently still possible after the legal quarantine period has been observed.
We have summarised the most important points for you so that you can prepare your kitesurfing trip in the best possible way:
- No minimum number of days is required for a stay.
- No restrictive quarantine required!
- Tourists must stay at a certified ‘Safe & Secure’ Level 1 hotel for up to 13 nights/14 days of their stay. (De Silva Windresort has this level!)
- Currently no exceptions would be made for vaccinations taken; all safety protocols should be adhered to regardless.
- All facilities of the hotel would be made available to the guests!
- Tourists can visit approved tourist sites under the safety of a bio-bubble.
- Pay for PCR Tests (40 USD per PCR test depending on the number of days of the stay) when applying for visa online and for insurance (12 USD) with one month cover of 50,000 USD.
- Tourists may arrive through Charter Flights, Scheduled Flights or Private Jets, at both Katunayake and Mattala Airports. Please note that Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) is certified as a safe airport by ACI airport health accreditation programme.
- Arrival of tourists would be decided by the testing capacity of the private laboratories as determined by the Ministry of Health and Minister of Tourism jointly.
- Please call the Sri Lanka Tourism 24-hour hotline on 1912 for any additional support
VISA application procedure:
- All visas must be applied online through the Immigration ETA portal (www.eta.gov.lk). Prior to applying for visa, travellers are required to pre-purchase PCR tests and a mandatory COVID-19 Insurance Cover. Using tourism channels (pay to your Level 1 hotel or safe and secure certified travel agent) and upon payment travellers will be issued a unique tourism reference number which needs to be used in the ETA portal when processing the visa (visit srilanka.travel/helloagain for more information)
- Pre-purchase PCR tests depending on the number of days of stay as deemed by the Ministry of Health.
- The cost per PCR test will be USD 40. (eg: On arrival PCR testing is mandatory.
- If a traveller stays for 4 nights/5 days or less pay for 1 PCR test.
- If the stay is more than 5 days yet less than 13 nights/14 days, pay for 2 PCR tests.
- If the stay is 14 days or more, pay for 3 PCR tests. Children under 12 years of age are exempted from PCR testing.
- Purchase the mandatory COVID-19 Insurance Cover from People’s Insurance PLC at USD 12 for a policy of USD 50,000 for a period of one month.
- Confirmation of a booking at a certified ‘Safe & Secure’ hotel, for a period of up to 13 nights/ 14 days should be shown when applying for visa. There would be no mandatory minimum stay requirement.
- Upon issuing a visa, the details of the international traveller would be sent to the area Medical Officer of Health. And be updated accordingly until their arrival at the respective hotel.
PRE Flight preparation:
- Travellers should undergo a PCR test from an accredited laboratory and obtain a negative result, approximately 96 hours before their flight.
- A Health Declaration Form (HDF) should also be submitted prior to boarding, on-board the flight or upon arrival.
- The COVID-19 Insurance Cover purchased during visa process for a value of at least $50,000 for 1 month.
Sri Lanka kitesurfing tourists find here more informations!
Moreover there is a private hospital in Puttalam, which is one of the best in Sri Lanka and is of course an official hospital where you can go in case of any medical needs!